- Stalking is a crime under the laws of all 50 States, the District of Columbia and the Federal Government.
- 15 States classify stalking as a felony upon the first offense.
- 34 States classify stalking as a felony upon the second offense and/or when the crime involves aggravating factors.
- Aggravating factors may include: possession of a deadly weapon; violation of a court order or condition of probation/parole; victim under 16; same victim as prior occasions.
* Last updated October 2005.
* In Maryland, stalking is always a misdemeanor.
For a compilation of State, Tribal and Federal Laws visit: http://www.ncvc.org/src