Victims Rights


  • To be informed of your rights and how to exercise your rights.
  • To information regarding the offender’s release from custody.
  • To be notified of a decision not to prosecute is an arrest has been made.
  • To speak with an assistant Attorney General, or prosecutor representative upon your request, about the possible outcome of the case, potential plea agreements and sentencing options.
  • To attend court proceedings in the case.
  • To have reasonable attempts made to notify you of the time, date and place of upcoming court proceedings, if you so request.
  • To be provided with a waiting area separate from defense witnesses.
  • To a speedy disposition of the criminal case.
  • To have your interest considered when the court is deciding to grant a request for delay (continuance).
  • To be notified if charges are dismissed.
  • To be accompanied to court by a service representative. This right is limited to specific types of crimes.
  • To ask for assistance with your employer if necessary, resulting from court appearances.
  • To request an order for, and to be given results of, testing the offender for sexually transmitted diseases or HIV. This right is limited to specific types of crimes.
  • To provide a written or oral victim impact statement concerning the economic, physical and psychological effect of the crime upon you to be considered by the court at sentencing.
  • To have the impact of the crime on you included in a pre-sentence investigation.
  • To be provided sentencing or dispositional information upon request.
  • To restitution as allowed by law.
  • To a civil judgment for unpaid restitution.
  • To compensation for certain expenses as allowed by law.
  • To have your property expeditiously returned when it is no longer needed for evidence.
  • To be notified of the offender’s eligibility for parole and to have input into the parole-making decision.
  • To have the Department of Corrections make reasonable attempt to notify you of specific types of releases, escapes or confinements as provided by law.
  • To have reasonable attempt made to notify you of a pardon application to the governor and to make a written statement regarding the pardon application.
  • To contact the Department of Justice about concerns you may have about your treatment as a crime victim. In order to receive information you must keep the appropriate agency informed of your current address and telephone number.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s